Friday, 6 March 2015

Hello! Today I am taking part in Amy's five on friday. The link is over on my side bar if you fancy it yourself.

First off, I washed and dried my fairisle sampler, but the ends! Oh those ends! You think crochet is bad!


At first I thought, I am going to be here forever! But after watching Maryjane Mucklestone on craftsy, I am going to tie them.  Apparently it was thought of as a "sin" to tie your ends, so weaving them in amongst the back was how some did it, and some do.  But she discovered on closer inspection of an old fair isle jumper that they were tied.  Its funny the little sayings that people started or believed when doing something.  Tying knots is still a bit tedious but I am getting there. I think I might go with a small bolster, for what to do with it.  Just need a back now.
For #2 I have no picture.  But last night I went to a friends house and helped her learn to cast on, and she did it!  And 2 of her girls wanted to learn to crochet, and they did it!  They each made a small granny square before I left.  It feels good when you can pass that on to someone. And people look really happy with themselves when they can suddenly do it!
#3 Blue skies and sun today,  need I say more...

#4 Ok this was a lovely treat to me, from me. I had some Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket. So what do you think I bought? And it arrived in the post... 

Wool, lovely wool.  I picked out some shades to use in fairisle. To try some different combinations. I really like the knit pick wools.  The colors are really lovely. For the sampler I did, I used stuff from my stash. 
And # 5  I will give to Farley. Hope you are all not tired of hearing about him. At the end of his walk today he got to go in the river. Only for a short time, up to the ankles, no swimming and he was on the lead.  I know he would probably not come back if we really let him go, but all the same he liked it. Maisie was not interested. Its still a bit to chilly for a skinny dip. 


 

10 comments:

  1. Farley is gorgeous isn't he!!! Your new yarn is so pretty, such lovely colours! A real delight for you to work with I am sure. As for that fairisle, well, stunning!!! Gosh though, yes, the ends!!! I never thought of that! Eeeeekk!! Thank you so much for joining in, great to have you taking part. I hope that you have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy! I am glad I had the time today to do a post for your 5 on friday. Hope you have a great weekend too!

      Delete
  2. That knit picks wool looks gorgeous. I showed my girls the photos of Farley, they think he's fab and furry and want to see more of him!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely not tired of hearing about Farley, I have to say that I'm with Maisie though, it's far too chilly for a skinny dip. Your fairisle is fabulous, far too complicated for me though, it's something I've shied away from. Your new yarn is gorgeous, such beautiful shades, it will make beautiful fairisle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, I am glad you are all not getting bored with Farley. :) I shied away from fairisle for a good while, once you do it its ok. Now I need to actually make an item, but the cast on is 180 stitches!

      Delete
  4. Aha, Five on Friday. Just love your fair isle and it should look good as a bolster cushion. Those new wool colours are great and do you buy it through the Wool Warehouse? I'm thinking about knitting that gorgeous purple hat you made for your daughter and will have to email or ring Jo. I'm on catch up too at the moment. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't think I'll ever get bored of hearing what Farley is getting up to. He sounds such a character and yes he and the Shetland do have matching hair doo's don't they.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your knitting is just beautiful! I am not sure that I could produce something as pretty.
    I do love seeing and reading about your two Newfies. Aren't they just the most fabulous dogs? My two are shedding their undercoats like crazy now and its all over the house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your knitting is just beautiful! I am not sure that I could produce something as pretty.
    I do love seeing and reading about your two Newfies. Aren't they just the most fabulous dogs? My two are shedding their undercoats like crazy now and its all over the house.

    ReplyDelete