Tuesday, 3 March 2015

Anyone feel like they need a makeover. I do.  I think its this end of winter feeling. The sun is shining right now, I like that.  But it is cold in this little cottage by the sheep.  The wind is howling through the chimney, and the dogs are snoring. In between going outside in the mud of course. I think they have 4 sponges for paws.  Oh, well all will be ok.  These months seem to be going by quickly.  And March is starting out like the rhyme, in like a lion... hopefully it will be out like a lamb.

Here we are thinking healthy thoughts. Helps look forward to summer.  It is the season of Lent, which always brings positive changes to our house.  Although I will admit it takes us a couple of weeks to get into the swing of it.  We are trying to have a wireless night, meaning, no computers, ipads, phones, ds' etc... so far its happening for a couple of hours here and there. So thats ok, its hard now a days to have an evening completely free like that, homework is done on the computer now, and not for just research, some is just emailed to the teacher directly.  But a little bit here and there is a good try.  
Healthy eating always comes into play during Lent.  We have meatless meals a couple times of the week.  To be honest we do that all year round anyway.  So to encourage healthy eating, and have a little something different, I bought one of these.

Smoothie on the move

 How often do you just forget those vouchers they give you at the checkout? I'm always forgetting to use them, so this time I made use of it on this. It comes with a cup that you fill with your smoothie ingredients, you screw on the lid, that has the blades, turn it upside down and put it in the base.  It makes enough for one. You can then take off the blade top, and it comes with another top, for you to then take it away with you, or pop in the fridge for later. My only niggle is that there is not an on/off button, so it comes on the minute you plug it in, so leave the switch off at the plug till you  ready to blend. 
I used frozen fruit ( cranberries, raspberries, strawberries) granola, plain low-fat yogurt and honey.  You only need a little bit of everything too.  

Another one we made had blueberries instead of cranberries.
A booklet comes with it with 3 recipies to try.  I am thinking of just looking at the innocent smoothies for ideas, I'm sure they don't mind sharing. Hope your all having a good week.

5 comments:

  1. Smoothie makers and juicers seem to be all the rage right now. I have to admit that I'm not keen on either actually, I wish I were as they seem really healthy, a great way to get your five a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good way to get your 5 a day. I am not a big milk drinker, I can't drink milk like the kids do. But with the smoothies you can make them with juice too. The yogurt was nice, and your not adding a lot either.

      Delete
  2. I am not a fan of smoothies as they always seem to have banana in them which I don't like in things, so making your own is a good way to avoid that isn't it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness me you're all being far toooooo healthy for me. A close friend of mine swears by smoothies having all sorts of concoctions each day. Some look like you should take a photograph rather than drink them and others look more like something from a witches cauldron but she says they all taste nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We like smoothies here. Like Amy, I'm not a banana fan. The good thing about making your own is you know what's in it. My favourite is apple juice whizzed with a handful of frozen raspberries. xx

    ReplyDelete